Baba used to have one of us read jokes every afternoon, and someone asked why He liked jokes. Baba replied because the Universe is God's biggest joke!
LETTERS FROM THE MANDALI, Vol. 2, ed. Jim Mistry, p. 72
1983 © AMBPPCT
- God's Sense Of Humor
- He [Baba] stated that Creation is God's Lila (Divine Sport) and that it is sustained by His sense of humor.
- The Originator Of This Joke
- People take life seriously, and God lightly; whereas we must take God seriously, and life lightly.
- A Good Laugh For Baba
- I could feel the vibrations on the car seat and I glanced over and saw that Baba was laughing heartily.
- Peculiar Poetry
- After supper, Baba and some others were carrying on random poetry composing in the dining room.
- This Completely Cured Him
- Thus does Baba comply with our insistent desire, in order to make us free from that desire.
- Splintering Hits
- Baba has almost cleared half the windows of glass, but Doctor too is grimly sticking to his sweet sleep!
- He Still Is Beautiful
- With the slightest excuse Baba would find humour in a situation, and He used to amuse everybody.
- Joining In The Fun Himself
- There was much laughter when He circumnavigated the long table to find where He could best tickle each one.
- Their Questions Answered
- A few days after His return to Meherazad, Baba called Pukar and asked for the slips of paper.
- Who Is Here?
- As soon as I woke him, he got up and started running.
- He Wanted To Embrace Me
- I was so frightened I actually began to perspire.
- Each Clings To His Own Different Interpretation
- There is more of the writers in the Bible than of Jesus Christ!
- An Insult To Our Beloved God
- Everyone had a hearty laugh.
- Be Wholeheartedly With Him
- People often wasted time trying to attribute meanings to His actions.
- All The Other Mandali Became Masts
- None of the mandali had told Baba about the practical joke!
- What Will Happen To The Universe
- He would never forget, and I would feel amazed and ashamed.
- He Was Not Frightened Of Us
- Mani drew a moustache above her lip, put on her slacks, and got a stick.
- Did The Fly Go Away?
- There was general singing, and at the far end of the hall, one of the lovers opened his mouth to join in. As he did so, a fly got in.
- Hula Hoop
- I whirled away while I could.
- I Was Not Responsible For My Actions
- I don't know what came over me, but I guess I have a savage instinct.
- This Is A Very Nice Kind Of Cradle
- Baba laughed, and we all laughed.
- He Then Revealed The Secret
- Goher searched for it in different places in the room.
- God's Biggest Joke!
- Baba used to have one of us read jokes every afternoon, and someone asked why He liked jokes.
- Only To Find Him Laughing
- A friend of my brothers, good at singing funny songs, was also there.
- It Must Be So!
- Kumar promptly replied, "Because you wanted it that way."
- A Mighty Joke to Me
- Your various reactions to others seen in the context of your mutual connections in previous
lives serves as a mighty joke to me and helps to ease my burden of suffering.
- Whatever You Take Me To Be
- Oh, I thought that was Meher Baba, but it's Frank Zappa!
- What Is Life?
- This knowledge is not achieved by reasoning; it is born of experience.
- The Food Was Just To Our Taste
- Here were the mandali paying so little in a cheap hotel and eating so well, and here were we with Baba paying so much and starving!
- He Had A Lively Laugh
- Some of the mandali overheard this remark, spoken softly in Hindi. When they told this to Baba, He had a lively laugh.
- It Is A Divine Art To Look Always Cheerful
- It is a divine quality. It helps others.
- Not Afraid Of Hell
- "I am waiting for you there," Baba quipped, and everyone laughed.
- Accept Whatever I Give You
- Katie burst out laughing at Baba's trick and her fright vanished.
- Seeing That "Impossible" Situation Work Out
- Since that day I have stopped planning ahead, financially speaking.
- Expressing Your Love And Reverence
- While joking with me outwardly, have reverence for me in your heart.
- Proper Arrangement Had Been Made
- Apparently in his eagerness to make the most suitable arrangements for Baba, Dr. Donkin had exaggerated and the hospital staff got the impression that Baba was in a serious condition.
- Just Wait Until I Have My Pants On!
- There were three of us and one stranger in the four-person compartment.
- Merwan's Dome
- Mani laughed and told us a funny story about the double meaning of the word dome.
- His Eyes Sparkling With Amusement
- Have you ever heard of a horse in a house?
- The Full Measure Of His Love
- A nurse asked one morning "Who is this Baba?"
- Told Me By Norina
- Among those she called on for this purpose was the great scientist Einstein.
- Crossword Puzzles And Limericks
- Mani Irani: The published results never seemed to agree with my very clever efforts (ahem).
- Australia Versus America
- Mehera put her hand over her mouth and whispered "What is that animal that jumps?"
- Now He Regretted Doing So
- Meherjee had purchased first-class tickets for Baba's comfort, but now he regretted doing so as the "comfort" turned into the severest discomfort imaginable.
- Taj Mahal
- You see, my trip to India was financed by my granny, but on the condition that I visit the Taj Mahal and tell her about it.
- "'It's the horse,' we tried to say. 'It won't stop!' Baba wasn't looking at all pleased, and we were trying not to laugh."
- Hang Me
- So thereupon the Master and his disciple appeared to have an argument, each seeking the right to be hanged, until the King intrigued, intervened, 'Why are you both so anxious to be hanged?'
- Baba And The Brothel
- "Anyway, those people were also blessed by Baba's presence," Mehera observed.
- Humour In The New Life
- Somehow or other, he does not seem to understand my language. Will you please explain your instructions to him so that he will bear it in mind for the future?
- Laurel And Hardy
- After sitting in the dark for a few minutes Baba again nudged Eruch, 'Do you still want to wait or shall we go?'
- Happy Valley And The Happiest Summit
- Perhaps through such coincidences, Baba, using this humorous aspect of intimacy and dragging them to His feet through misadventure, is putting them on the "waiting list" of His next Advent.
- To Protect His Quiet
- The man was fully prepared to burst into Baba's room when I blocked his way and persuaded him to leave his package in the hall with me.
- You Letter Was The Only One
- It gave me such relief to find your deep love for me and your great concern for my time, my health, my eyesight, and my preoccupations.
- Uncle Fish
- I haven't yet got an undignified name from Baba, but no doubt it will come one day; at least I hope so.
- Trimming Baba's Moustache
- Mani said that Mehera would trim Baba's moustache, very, very carefully and gently.
- Obedience To The Ruler Amongst Them
- In case of refusal by the saint the messenger was instructed to quote the Koranic injunction: 'Obedience to God, obedience to the Prophet and obedience to the ruler amongst them.'
- If He Wanted To Be Funny
- Baba had a very fine sense of humour, but if He wanted to be funny or to tease someone He would have to point to the letters on the board.
- It's Easy To Forget How Playful God Is
- God's Creation is His playground — a place where we've come to live, learn, and grow closer to Him, all of which brings Him great joy.
- Might Have Led To A Paroxysm Of Violence
- Gustadji broke into a trot at once, but did so at the very instant that a small boy was coming towards him.
- When Baba arrived from His work with the men mandali and saw Mummy seated in all her strange splendor, He laughed and laughed.
- God Doesn't Cheat At Solitaire
- Mind always wants to know what is beyond mind, and this is a great joke to such a one as Meher Baba
- Chipattis A La Half Moon
- The next day Fate, who like me did not seem to have enough to do, again gave me a chance to do the same thing, and again for this silly prank to be played unseen.
- A Very Funny Trial, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- The pot rolled on the platform and whole of its milk flowed out.