Meher-Ashram Opening Day
The Combined Diary
Accompanied by thundering cheers the "Institution was formally declared open" and a group photograph is taken with Baba surrounded by all those present, folios #2v245-2v248, May 1, 1927.
"After all the discussions, programmes and plans, so often changed, altered and even cancelled out altogether during the last few months, the scheme of an ideal institution of both spiritual and secular education, at last came into being today."
Baba, the mandali and the boys walked in procession from the zhopdi to the "small bunglow" on the outskirts of Arangaon. Village bands led the way playing familiar tunes to the cheers of the mandali. Arriving at the cottage around 3:30 PM, all recited a special arti for the occasion, followed by the distribution of sweets and milk-tea. Accompanied by thundering cheers the "Institution was formally declared open" and a group photograph was taken with Baba surrounded by all those present.
Three of the ten boys enrolled the Ashram had not yet arrived; seven were present. They were provided with uniform clothing along with a towel and bed clothes and a tin storage trunk. The staff also moved into the new premises, which had been prepared in every respect for occupancy. Starting the following day the Ashram cook, Chhagan, would begin providing meals from their own kitchen.
The Hazrat Babajan Girls' School shifted to the Post Office building.
Baba also arranged for Gustadji to take up residence on the zhopdi verandah with instructions to keep within the zhopdi compound and to remain aloof from the mandali.
Ramjoo arrived for a twenty-day stay with the mandali as agreed earlier in April.
Part 142: The Combined Diary
2006, Avatar Meher Baba Perpetual Public Charitable Trust
All Rights Reserved